SAS SOMERSET MUSEUM
The SAS Somerset, is permanently moored for public viewing in the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront in Table Bay Harbour, Cape Town.
The SAS Somerset was taken over from the South African Navy on 24 May 1988. She is the only Boom Defence Vessel left in the world. While the SAS Somerset was in commission in the South African Navy her operational duties were restricted to salvage operations.
During the school holidays sleepovers for children are held aboard the SAS Somerset.
The SAS Somerset was recently seen in the Robinson dry-dock where she was receiving a well deserved and long overdue sprucing up courtesy of the Department of Public Works and Nautilus Marine. She should be ship shape and Bristol fashion by the end of September when her new life as a training centre for safety at sea will hopefully commence.
History of SAS Somerset
The SAS Somerset was known as Ship No. 280 when her keel was laid on 15 April 1941 in Blyth shipyard. She was engineered by Messrs Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Tyneside. On 8 April 1942, she was commissioned as HMS Barcross, one of a series of 76 of this class of vessel built during the Second World War.
Later in 1942 she sailed for South Africa under the command of Lt. V. Sutherland RNR and commenced duties in Saldanha Bay by laying and servicing boom defence equipment. On 23 January 1943 the ship was renamed the HMSAS Barcross and continued to serve under that name until 1947 when she was laid up in Durban.
In 1955, the ship was re-commissioned and renamed the SAS Somerset, after the famous horse that carried Dick King from Durban to Grahamstown in 1842. The connection is perpetuated in the seahorse on the ship’s crest.
On 24 May 1988, the SAS Somerset began a new career as a museum ship when she was towed form Simon's Town to Table Bay harbour where she repainted and refurbished. On 2 September 1988, the Chief of the South African Navy, Vice-Admiral G. Syndercombe, officially handed her over to the S A Cultural History Museum.
Facts and figures:
- The SAS Somerset was manned by one officer and 37 men.
- The ship's overall length is 59 metres.
- The full load displacement is 960 tons.
- The ship is propelled by one main engine, known as a triple expansion reciprocating engine, which develops 850-horse power and is capable of propelling the ship at 11 knots. Steam is supplied to the main engine via two single-ended boilers, fed by furnace fuel oil at a rate of tons per hour and feed water at eight tons per day.
Originally the ship was coal-fired and she only became oil-fired in 1959. In 1967 new boilers and a reconditioned engine were installed.
See a plan of the ship
Hours and entrance fees
Disabled access: Yes
Conference facilities: No